In year 1902, Late Maharaja Madhavrao Scindia (Pratham) was impressed with concept of Chamber of Commerce which he witnessed during his foreign trip. After returning, he motivated business community & thats how foundation of this body was initiated.
The Gwalior Chamber of Commerce made a small beginning on the 26th of May 1906 with a handful of 24 members with Shri. Lala Bikari Das as president,Shri. Babu Goverdhan Das as Vice President,Shri. Hukum Singh as Secretary, Shri. Babu Ram Ji Das as joint secretary and the cashier of the Bank of Amritsar as the Treasurer. Back in year 1913, immediate chairmanship set Nathman Golechha emphasized for economic development. Till that time the chamber had already 11 life long members. And the state council of the Indian Govt. had also enrolled one of its members as life long member.. The chamber got associated with the other organization of the country having the same purpose. They also become members of the London council of commerce. They helped in solving the problems of excise, railway, telephone, customs and trade panchayats.
The chamber also worked for national ideals & objectives.At that point of time Swadeshi Movement was in it full vigour and chamber along with the national leaders conveyed the message & requested the business class to use country made items. During this period Lala Ram Ji Das participated in National Labour Assembly. Shri Ghanshyam Das Birla remained of the benefactor of chamber. He always motivated the members for the well being of the business and trade. By the year 1931, chamber had participated in various national and international assemblies and conventions. In 1838, Gwalior state trade council was also formulated. In the year 1941, the plan for the construction of the chambers building was bought into action, for that purpose a trust was formed.
In 1945, Babu Durga Prasad Mandelia, took the charge of the chamber and he delivered his guidance, intelligent direction and serious thinking to chamber for consecutive 46 years. In 1949, Central Indian State, Business and Industrial Councils splendid function was organized under the chairmanship of renowned industrialist Shri Lal Chand Sethi. The chamber got a good help in the face of shri Ghanshyam Das Birla, also a renowned industrialist, becoming one its esteemed members, under his guidance, the chamber attained an honorable position in national and state level organizations. That time honorable trade minister Dr. Shyama Prasad Mukharji, Commerce Minister Shri, T.T. Krishnamachari, Railway Minister Shri Lal Bahadur Shashtri, chief justice of the supreme court have also been our honorable guests.
In 1958, the golden jubilee celebrations Madhya Pradesh trade and industry council was held. It was preceded over by Shri Ghanshyam Das Ji Birla and was inaugurated by Shri Manu Bhai Shah. On 10th of July 1965, the immediate honorable defense minister Shri Yashwant Rao Chauhan was also invited in the chamber. On 4th January 1966, the Defense supply minister Mr. Jai Sukhlal Walthi was informed about the states contribution in the defense arrangements The chamber organized its Diamond jubilee celebration on 6thNov. 1967 under the avenue of honorable vice president Mr. B.B.Giri Sir as the guest of Honor, Honorable vice president Mr. B.B. Giri Sir inaugurated the ceremony and which was presided by Rajmata Vijaya Raje Scindia.
On 8th December of 1996, MPCCI has celebrated completion of 90 years. Then Prime Minister Shri H.D. Deve Gowda was Chief Guest in the Function.
On 12th October of 2006, MPCCI has celebrated its Centenary Year. President Late Dr. A.P.J. Abdul Kalaam was the Chief Guest accompanied by Late Dr.Balram Jhakad (Governor of M.P.), Shri Shivraj Singh (Chief Minister of M.P.) and Shrimant Jyotiraditya Scindia (Member of Parliament) as Special Guest. Special Postal Stamp was also released by the President on this occasion.